How to Change Ownership of Jio SIM?

Changing the ownership of a SIM card can be a complex process. However, when it comes to Reliance Jio, while direct ownership transfer isn’t currently supported, there’s an alternative method available. This involves porting the existing number under previous owner to a new service provider under your name.

Steps for Ownership Transfer

1. Obtain Porting Code

The first step in the process is to acquire the Mobile Number Portability (MNP) code. This code facilitates the transfer of your number from Reliance Jio to another service provider. You can easily obtain this code by sending an SMS to a specified number or by contacting Reliance Jio customer service.

Send an SMS in this format-

PORT <Mobile number you wish to port> to 1900

2. Submit Required Documents

Once you have the porting code, you need to visit the outlet or store of your chosen telecom service provider (Airtel, Vodafone Idea or BSNL). Here, you’ll be required to submit your identity proof and address proof documents. These documents are essential for the verification process and ensuring that the ownership transfer is legitimate.

3. Wait for Porting Process

After submitting the necessary documents, your mobile number will undergo the porting process. This typically takes between 5 to 7 days and now days even on the same day. During this time, your number will be transferred to the new service provider, and the ownership will be updated to your name.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1: Can I directly change the ownership of my Reliance Jio SIM?

A1: Currently, direct ownership transfer for Reliance Jio SIM cards is not supported. However, you can transfer ownership indirectly by porting your number to a new service provider under your name.

Q2: What documents are required for the ownership transfer process?

A2: You will need to submit identity proof and address proof documents. These may include Aadhaar card, passport, voter ID, or any other government-issued identification documents.

Q3: Is there any fee associated with the ownership transfer?

A3: Generally, there might be a nominal fee charged for the Mobile Number Portability (MNP) process. However, the exact fee may vary depending on the service provider and the specific offers available at the time of transfer.

Q4: Charges Involved in SIM Ownership Change

A4: Porting charges may differ among telecom operators. While personally I have completed the process without additional fees like SIM or First Recharge Plan, others may encounter nominal charges.

Conclusion

While transferring the ownership of a Reliance Jio SIM card directly may not be feasible at the moment, the process of porting your number to a new service provider offers a viable alternative. By following the above steps and ensuring you have the necessary documents, you can successfully transfer ownership just like me and continue enjoying uninterrupted services.